This time tomorrow, the Oscar nominations for Best Picture will have been announced. Every year, for the past four years, I try to gage for myself what films will be nominated and then grade myself on the outcome. The first two years I scored a 90%, an A in my book. Last year threw me for a loop with the nomination of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Academy only having to nominate up to 10 films for Best picture.
17 films made it onto my initial list as true contenders for Best Picture. From that 17, I then narrowed down the list to seven films that I felt strongly about. And then finally, I rounded it out to an odd 9…I couldn't bring myself to put a 10th film on the list just to make the list 10 films long.
So, without further ado, here's my Best Picture nomination predictions for this year's Oscars ::
1. Argo – my pick to win
3. Les Miserables – personally couldn't stand this film
4. Zero Dark Thirty – Kathryn Bigelow finally won me over
5. Silver Linings Playbook
6. The Impossible – yep, putting this one on here
7. Moonrise Kingdom – a bit of a stretch, but given my choices, I'll bet on this one
8. Beasts of the Southern Wild
9. Life of Pi – I thought it was weak emotionally but I'm a fan of the book
Others on my list for consideration included Anna Karenina, The Hobbit, The Sessions, Hyde Park on Hudson, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Django Unchained and Flight…I really want to put The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel up there! And while some might have included Amour, I'm content on what I've chosen.
Here's to tomorrow morning! Happy Oscar Nominations Eve!